Saturday, October 22, 2016

Leaves

My husband has been asking me for a leaf quilt for years and years.  This year I finally made him one.  It was a very quick project (for me).  I found this pattern in the Autumn issue of Quilter's World magazine. It was designed by Julie Weaver.  Hers had an ecru background, but I wanted mine to look like that New Mexico sky that I remember so well.  The leaves look so pretty against the blue.



I quilted this on my new Innova longarm.  It quilted so fast and mostly pretty.  I had a little trouble with my feathers in the outer border. 

But I used a ruler to guide me around the ditches and for those border lines.  I had fun and my hubby loves it.  I used Glide thread and Matilda's Own poly/wool batting.


Below is a bundle of hankies and table runners that I bought from ebay.  25 pieces for $8, yea!  Some are really pretty with handmade lace and pretty embroidery.  I plan to do some of that vintage, Cindy Needham type quilting on these.  


Then I won this pretty lone star quilt at my guild's chinese auction.  So another project that needs quilting, it will be good practice for my Innova.  It is well-made and will be very pretty quilted up.


I am sharing a photo of my confederate rose bush.  It's a type of hibiscus, but it only blooms in October and November.  The blooms are huge.  

I better get back to work.  I have a ton of projects to quilt.  I will try and be better about sharing and even make a couple of videos of my process.  Thanks for viewing.  

Karen

14 comments:

  1. LOVE you leaf quilt - especially the blue background and your fabric choices. It reminds me of the beautiful blue sky here in Northern Ontario Canada - right before it switches to grey and snows :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been there, sounds like it might be really nice right now. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  2. oh that is so pretty! Love the blue, and the curvy stems!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you like this, it was fairly simple to make. I am a slow piecer, but this one moved right along.

      Delete
  3. It turned out just beautiful! The blue just makes those leaves pop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh good, I wasn't sure of that design decision. I just knew it was what I personally wanted. Thanks for commenting and looking.

      Delete
  4. Those hankies and table runners will look fabulous with a little quilting on them - or a lot! Have fun with it!!! I really like your fall quilt, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the background color of your leaves quilt, it really makes it sing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on getting the Innova. If I had my choice of machines today, that would be the one. Your leaf quilt looks terrific! Love what you won at the guild, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a tough learning curve, and I was resisting the call of the longarm until I tried Innovas last year. And it seems like many of the free motion quilters use Innovas. Thanks for commenting and viewing.

      Delete
  7. Your leaf quilt turned out wonderfully! The blue bAckground offsets the warm tones in the leaves. Congratulations on achieving your OMG! (I like the eBay embroidery, too....and lucky you for winning the lone star.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your OMG looks awesome, love the leaves!! Great work on everything!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful quilt and I can't wait to see what you do with the ebay goodies.!

    ReplyDelete