Saturday, August 1, 2015

fillers, fillers, and more fillers

I am delving into all my filler books and lessons to help me fill the outer border of this quilt. I am filling it in with triangles with a different fill design in each one.

 So I am finally putting all of those books and websites to use.  I usually just use the same fill designs over and over - I like bubbles, paisleys, swirls, and grids.  For new ideas, I am inspired by Leah Day's Free Motion Quilting Project and by the fills in my Craftsy class with Cindy Needham.  I am also looking at designs from the awesome online book I bought from aussie quilter Helen Godden, Fifty Shades of Quilting.  There are so many ideas out there.  And believe it or not, I can actually come up with some myself, see the radiating triangle in blue below? - all mine


 Sue Heinz' book Fill Harmonics has some wonderful ideas (oops, upside down..)






There are tons of ideas in my Machine Quilting Unlimited magazines.


Including this wonderful article by Margaret Solomon Gunn (and yes, I see it is sideways - just call me the wonky blogger)



 I also bought  Bethanne Nemesh's three book set and got more ideas.


Bethanne calls her fill Nemeshing and I love it.  I used it around my applique's for great effect.
And her other book "The Devil is in the Details" is inspiring me to add a beaded border.  I have two of them done already!   These are very labor intensive, hand stitching around each bead to make the fabric pop.  
I used a string of those little white beads, ohhh  I hope they are not too small to notice.  sometimes you just have to take the time to try it and see.  


Where do you go to find new designs?  Try some new ones out every once in a while, it's so fun!  Karen

If you are not willing to risk the unusual, you will have to settle for the ordinary. – Jim Rohn

2 comments:

  1. I am in awe of your quilting talent, Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome... I'm slowly stepping through your blog. Rushing madly to finish everything up for our Feb show! But after that I plan to spend some time in skill-building.

    ReplyDelete